4.01.2013

kate danielle hafen

Introducing the newest member of our family...Kate Danielle Hafen. Everyone told me my heart would grow and I'd love her just as much as Ella.

Well it's true I love both of my girls more than I thought possible.

Kate was born March 27, 2013. She weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces and was 21 inches long. Tall little girl with LOTS of dark hair!

Backing up a little, here's Kate's birth story...

At my 38 week check up my doctor gave me the option of being induced at 39 weeks or waiting for nature to take its course. I went home and thought about it for a day or two and decided to go ahead and be scheduled. I'd been having a lot of contractions and false alarms and was exhausted!

Here I am in nine months of pregnancy glory. 




So on Wednesday, March 27th we checked into the hospital at 6:45am. We filled out the necessary paperwork and then went to our room. The nurse had to give me an IV to start the pitocin...which was probably one of the worst parts. She had to try three times to get a vein. Not fun!

After that Dr. Spencer came in and broke my water about 8:00 am and the contractions started speeding up and getting more and more intense. By 1:15 in the afternoon Kate was ready to make her entrance. I pushed through 3 contractions and she was here at 1:34! Quick and easy. And my epidural worked with this time (unlike with Ella) so the whole experience was a lot more enjoyable.

After she was born and cleaned up. Danny, Kate and I spent a couple of hours just the three of us in our room. We loved bonding with her and having some quiet family moments.

We were instantly in love.




After we were moved to my recovery room. Our parents came up and brought Ella. Watching Ella meet Kate for the first time was one of the best moments of my life. Ella kept saying "she's so cute!" And she was touching her and giggling. She was so excited that Baby Kate was finally here!


Our first family of four picture.
 
Our little Kate Bug. We love her.
The next morning we were getting ready to go. Unfortunately I got a terrible headache. The think it was a spinal headache from the epidural. I had to lay completely flat with the lights out or my head would feel like it was going to burst. There was talk of having to got a blood patch but we decided to go home and see how I did there. I did okay and Danny definitely had to step up and help but after a couple days my spine healed itself and the headaches went away.

Kate all dressed up to go home.
A pic of the home she came home to. 

As far as labor and deliveries go I think it went about as smoothly and uneventful as possible. We were so excited to get home to Ella and start our new life as a family of four.



No comments: