As many of you know I am currently a dual citizen of Denver and Salt Lake. I go back and forth about every other week for work. And with that comes MANY wonderfully, joyous traveling experiences.
This past Sunday I flew from Denver to Salt Lake. My flight was at 5:49. So what time would you say I got to the airport (the very busy Denver airport)? How about 5:20? Did I have my boarding pass pre-printed? No. Did I even know my confirmation number? No.
So Danny drops me off, I run to the Frontier counter and what do you know there are major lines. I told one of the employees who was in charge of crowd control my predicament and he let me go to the next available agent. I checked in and he informed me that I was late (really?). He called to the gate to see if they'd hold it for me since they'd already begun boarding. He told me they couldn't wait for me but to just "hussle over there."
Hussle I did. I ran (in high heels...why I was in high heels at the airport I'll never know) over to security. The line stretched on for miles. My stomach dropped. I was going to miss my flight. I called Danny and told him and he suggested I just go in the first class line that was of course empty. I decided to just try it and what do you know they let me through no questions asked. I practically ran through security, not even taking the time to put my liquids back in my bag.
Right as I was leaving security I heard the overhead announcement with the final boarding call for my flight! I took off in a dead sprint complete with me in high heels, rolling/dragging my carry-on bag and swinging my gigantic purse. While I was running the flap of my purse came open and I proceded to leave a trail of chapstick and lip gloss behind. I didn't even stop to pick them up. I got some weird glances from other people in the airport but I did not care. I was determined to make it on my flight.
I got to the gate completely out of breath but right before they closed the gate! They let me on! I hurried onto the plane because I knew everyone would be anxious to leave and I didn't want to hold things up. Of course the majority of the overhead bins were full but I found a spot for my suitcase. Usually some kind soul helps me because I am 1) not very tall and 2) not very strong but that was not the case this time. I almost hit the person sitting under the bin in the head but managed to get it up there myself.
The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful. Well except that when we landed in Salt Lake all of the power in the plane went out and we only had the emergency lights. That was a little exciting.
And lucky me, I get to do it all over again in a week! Fun times.
Speaking of next time, I forgot to book my next flight two weeks in advance so it cost $210 instead of the standard $155. My dad generously offered to let me use some of his frequent flyer miles so I wouldn't have to pay so much. I called the airline to get a refund and apply the miles and what do you know - I had booked the flight backward! Instead of going from Salt Lake to Denver, I had a ticket from Denver to Salt Lake! The airline was very helpful and let me cancel but that was really not one of my finer moments.
I do not think I'm cut out for this jet set lifestyle.
Update: Okay here's the kicker - I was going over my Frontier Frequent Flyer report and turns out I really already did book my next flight! I currently have 2 tickets from Salt Lake to Denver for Friday - one with Southwest Airlines and one with Frontier within an hour of each other. I guess that'll be my backup plan in case I'm running late again - I'll just know that I have another ticket in my pocket ready to go. Lucky me. I seriuosly struggle with travel arrangements.
1 comment:
You just can't do anything simple can you!
Post a Comment