7.05.2008

It's Official!

Danny and I are engaged!

Yesterday morning (July 4th) I was supposed to pick Danny up from the airport at 11:00. I was planning on sleeping in and lounging around all morning. At 7:00 in the morning my dad knocks on the door and tells me he's going to be sawing something in the garage and doesn't want to wake me. I'm thinking, well thanks for letting me know but now you woke me up anyway. Then he asks me who the flowers are from. I was still half asleep and didn't have a clue what he was talking about. So I got out of bed and there were a dozen pink roses in my room with a card. I opened the card and it said (among other things) to go to my bathroom.

I go into the bathroom and there is another card directing me to my car. By now I know what's happening so I run to the car to find another card. This time it leads me to "our secret spot in our secret park." I drive to the park in Kaysville and find Jill (Danny's little sister) there with another bouquet and another card. This time it leads me to "our special spot in Farmington Canyon."

This is where it gets good.

So I drive up the canyon. Keep in mind I'm still in my pajamas and flip flops. I get up to the canyon and can't exactly remember how to get to the spot but know the general area so I park my car and get out. I start walking along the road looking down toward the river trying to see our big rock.

I look down and see what sort of looks familiar and decide to go down. BIG mistake! So I slip and slide to the bottom of the hill. (All while carrying my gigantic purse!) Once I'm to the bottom I start walking along the river looking for the rock. Then it starts to get really hard to walk because there are all of these trees and rocks and stuff in my way so I think, "Hmm it looks like it'd be a lot easier to walk on the other side of the river, I think I'll cross it." I am such an airhead. So I just walk out onto a rock with my purse over my shoulder and without even pausing jump.

And fall into the river.

The water was way deep because of the run off so I pretty much swam to the other side. Now I'm completely drenched and the sweet sappy feeling of the morning is wearing off. I sit down on a rock to figure out what to do. I called Danny's name a few times but he obviously couldn't hear me over the sound of the raging river. I knew I'd have to cross back over the river but I didn't really want to. Finally I stand up and throw my purse and shoes across to the other side. I try to jump again, and of course fall in again. I'm so coordinated.

Once I'm back to the original side of the river I decide I'm just getting back up to the road. Where I was, it was a super steep climb back up but by this point I did not care and just wanted to get up. So I am literally climbing on all fours back up to the road. When I was getting to the top I listened to make sure there weren't any cars coming because I realized how absolutely ridiculous I must look. I was in my pajamas, soaking wet, carrying a purse, clawing my way back to the road.

Once I'm up to the road I contemplate just getting in my car and going home but decide to just walk along the road again to see if I can see Danny. As I'm walking, my pants are falling down because they are so heavy with all of the water. People driving by were looking at me like I'd just escaped from somewhere.

Then I see some pink roses along the side of the road. I had noticed some colorful spots earlier but didn't think much of it. So I walk to the roses and see Danny walking toward me. I've never been happier in my life to see someone! He took one look at me and asked, "What happened to you?" I was wet, muddy and had sticks and weeds stuck to my clothes and hair. I told him my experience. He just couldn't figure out why I'd try to cross the river. So then we walk along the nice little path that was laid out to the spot Danny had planned. (He had originally planned on just standing there waiting for me but after I didn't come for a while he got worried and was coming looking for me.) My Survivor Woman experience wasn't part of the plan. Danny thought I'd see the roses and just walk straight to him. He should have known things wouldn't be so easy with me involved.

He then got down on one knee and proposed and I, of course, said yes! I wanted to take a picture but my camera battery was dead! So you'll just have to take my word for how pathetic I looked at that moment.

But here is a picture of the big day (after I'd changed)!

9 comments:

Witter and Kway said...

Yay!! I am so excited for you! I'm also thrilled you have a blog now. Woo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You joined the bandwagon and i have to say, your story had me laughing out loud. Finally though! i can't wait for your big day!!!

Kylee said...

OH my goodness! I LOVE that story! Congratulations Danielle!!!

Mel Sims said...

Congrats, cous! =] I'm so happy for you!

Mommalisa said...

Hoorah, Hoorah! I'm so happy for you!!! It is the best news. You look so happy. I love the story, it is funny how there are certain genetic traits that persist through many generations. All of the females in the family who have heard this story can totally relate! Strange...but wonderful! I just wish we could see some video of you swinging your purse =) It makes me smile just thinking about it

Jessica said...

Hooray! I didn't know you started a blog! I love it! You are such a great writer, that was an awesome story!! Congrats again! We can't wait to meet Danny :)

Anonymous said...

Congratz on getting engaged that is great news!!

Brett & Brittany said...

Oh my gosh Danielle - that was CLASSIC! I read your story while at work and thank goodness no clients were in the lobby cuz I was bustin up imagning your experience - I'm suprised ppl didnt stop to make sure you were okay!
Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you - e-mail me at brittjorg@comcast.net so I can add you on my list for my blog. I created it "private", so i need your e-mail address to add you :)

Britt "Willey"

Kacie said...

Danielle, that was the funniest story ever! I miss you too. I really can't believe how time has flown by either. I am now in the young womens in my ward here and sometimes I have to remind myself that I am a leader because I swear I was just in young womens yesterday. So happy to hear about you and Danny, you guys are adorable together. Can't wait to see the wedding pictures.